Friday, October 8, 2010

CPR / First Aid. Why I teach

CPR/FA (health & Safety)
I thought I was healthy at age 21. I was thin, athletic and I ate very healthy foods. I exercised and was a nutrition major at community college. I was running track one day and waved at someone and then the next thing I knew I was laying there with my top cut open and men staring at me. I had a heart defect that caused my heart to stop. I landed on the ground and lucky for me others were around that knew CPR (cardiac pulmonary resuscitation). The Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT’s) came and used the automatic external defibrillator (AED) to bring me back. You can imagine my shock to be there at the college in front of a lot of students with my shirt open and men leaning over me when last I knew I was running. I tried to get up but they asked me to stay down. Someone yelled for people to get back and give me some privacy. That was over 21 years ago.
I was a single mom of a 3 year old little girl at the time. Because people were able to do CPR and later the EMT’s were properly trained to use the AED I was able to be in my daughter’s life to see her go through school and later to become a mom.
Again 29 when I had two more daughters at home I was saved by well trained medical staff during a cardiac episode I had right after having surgery. The nurses at the hospital were trained in CPR and were able to resuscitate me.
Also at age 39 when my two grandsons were very small I had another cardiac arrest and was saved by the EMT’s that came to my rescue. I am still here over 3 years later and able to enjoy my life as well as get to participate in the lives of those I love so very dearly.
My grandfather had 6 heart attacks before the 7th one took his life. I was so blessed to have him in my life until I was almost 25 because each time he had the first 6 heart attacks someone was nearby that knew CPR and acted quickly. 
Many people can tell of stories they have of getting to live longer or getting to have a loved one remain longer in their life because of proper emergency services being provided.
I chose to teach CPR because I want to give back to so many that have given to me. I also want to give others the chance to live longer and enjoy their lives as much as possible. Although we cannot have immortality, we can do what we can to live as long as possible and to enjoy quality lives.
I also encourage people to stop smoking and to take actions towards healthier lives. I have lost many people in my life due to smoking and I was a smoker when I was young which caused some of the issues I had later in life. Please if you haven’t started smoking, don’t. And if you are a smoker for the love of yourself, others you care about, and of the planet, please stop smoking.
While others are learning medical skills and technology is advancing to save lives, please do your part to assist the process of a healthier life for yourself, others and to improve the condition of the planet.
If you need to learn CPR, First Aid, or Basic Life Support for a career or because someone you know is at risk please contact me to set up a private class or get you into an existing class.

No comments:

Post a Comment